Review and Swatches: Pirates of the Caribbean OPI Collection

The new Pirates of the Caribbean collection by OPI was recently released a few weeks ago. I was able to pick up the whole collection two weeks ago. This was a collection I was really excited for from the moment I heard about it. My excitement hasn't change now that I've played with them a bit and done some swatches. In my opinion, this collection is unique. It has a lot of common colors, but all the colors are muted, which makes them more interesting. I know some people don't think the color selections were appropriate for the movie, stating reds, golds, and other dark colors would have made more sense. For me, the collection fits the movie franchise as well as still being a perfect set of colors for spring/summer. Needless to say, I'm a fan of this collection immensely. I'll stop myself from being overly fanatical and get to the swatches now.

Note: All swatches are 2 coats with no base or top coat.

Skull & Glossbones: Probably the polish that is the most appropriate color for the movie. A murky gray based beige color, Skull & Glossbones is the epitome of everything Pirates of the Caribbean. I am reminded of the dark colored cinematography of the first three movies when I look at this color. Since the name is played off of the infamous skull & crossbones shown in all the movies, it makes sense that this color is neutral and as close to white this collection will get. While it is nowhere near white, it almost looks like a dirty antique beige. It's unique, but it's the color I think will work in fall from this collection. I like bright colors for summer, so I'll wait till fall to use this one, but it's beautiful nonetheless.


Stranger Tides: Bearing the name of the new movie, Stranger Tides, is a sage colored lacquer with undertones of gray. The color seems to be inspired from the waters shown in the movies. The green in this polish is front and center, but it's muted down to give a very wearable creme finish. One of my favorites in the collection, I bought this for the uniqueness of the color and it's been the first color I've chosen to wear. This color is perfect for spring!


Mermaid's Tears: Inspired by the new characters introduced in the fourth movie, Mermaid's Tears is a beautiful, bright seafoam green. The green is the standout of this polish, but blue undertones take this polish from wow to WOW! This polish is the star of the collection and is a must-have for any nail polish addict, like myself. This is the polish to get! If you're looking to get one from this collection, pick Mermaid's Tears. You won't regret it!


Planks a Lot: Walk the plank and take a leap of faith with this purple polish. Say Planks a Lot to OPI for giving you this perfect shade of purple. With this slightest hint of gray undertones, this lacquer gives the perfect punch of color without being "in your face" bright. Summer nails in this color will be a standout.


Sparrow Me the Drama: Jack Sparrow is ready to serve up some comedic pink drama. Sparrow Me the Drama (how cute is that name!) is a classic pink color slightly on the muted side. If you're looking for something cute and flirty for the summer, this color is the perfect choice!


Steady As She Rose: Captain Jack Sparrow is ready to sail the Black Pearl and shout out Steady As She Rose. This little play on words tells us this color is pink! Soft and muted, this polish is a grayish pink creme shade. This is the color of this collection for those of you who love soft shades. Only downside is you can still see VNL (visible nail line) after 2 coats. Another coat would take care of this problem I'm sure. Pretty and light, this color was made for spring.


Beautiful collection, right?! I strongly suggest everyone at least check out the collection. The standouts are Mermaid's Tears and Planks a Lot! Stranger Tides is special too! Pick up Sparrow Me the Drama just for the name alone. Haha!

Thoughts and opinions? Comment below.

0 comments:

Post a Comment


up